Direct License Policy within Australia

Our direct licensing guidelines within Australia

These are the direct licensing guidelines of Lemont Media Group within Australia. This document contains information about licensing sound recordings and music videos under our administration. It sets out the procedure to be followed when you are making an enquiry about direct licensing for public performance or transmission.

An alternative to licensing the sound recording or music video directly from us is to obtain a blanket license from the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA). If you obtain the PPCA blanket license then you will may not require a direct license from us because the blanket license gives you permission, within the terms of the license, to play any recording from the PPCA catalogue which covers over 5,000 recording labels including our sound recordings and music videos. Go to or call PPCA on (02) 8569 1111 to find out more.

Types of licenses offered for sound recordings and music videos

We provide non-exclusive licenses for the following purposes:

  • transmission licenses for our sound recordings and music videos. You will need a transmission license if you intend to communicate the sound recording or music video to the public, for example by way of radio, television or the internet;
  • public performance licenses for our sound recordings and music videos. You will need a public performance license if you intend to play the sound recording or music video in public, for example by playing a CD at your business premises.

These licenses are separate from any license required in respect of the underlying copyright in the music and lyrics on the sound recording or music video. Unless the underlying musical works are no longer protected by copyright, you will also need to obtain permission to use the underlying musical works (including any lyrics). Permission to use musical works may be requested from the Australasian Performing Rights Association (APRA) and the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (AMCOS). These two organisations operate from the same office and have responsibility for different types of licensing. See or call 1300 852 388.

To enquire about directly licensing any of our sound recordings or music videos, please email us at .

We require the following information:

  • your business name and registered address;
  • your contact details;
  • a brief description of your business (eg. café, gym, radio station, film festival);
  • an accurate estimation, to the best of your ability and in good faith, of the number of customers per month attending your business (for radio and television stations, we require an estimate of your audience numbers. For one-off events please estimate the number of people you anticipate will attend);
  • the title of each sound recording and/or music video you wish to use (if you wish to use the entire album please indicate this);
  • a brief description of how you will be using the sound recording and/or music video
  • duration of the license

Additional information may be required to provide a quote for the license fee.  License fees include the cost of preparing the license agreement. License fees vary depending on the type of use and duration of the license of the sound recording or music video.

We grant licenses to the following types of businesses and for the following purposes. If your business type or purpose is not listed you may fit into our ‘other’ category:

  • childcare centres;
  • community halls;
  • concert venues;
  • festivals;
  • gymnasiums and fitness centres;
  • music on hold;
  • nightclubs;
  • restaurants and cafes;
  • schools and universities;
  • other.

Once the license agreement is executed you are able to use the sound recording and/or music video in accordance with the terms and conditions of the license. Please contact APRA and AMCOS to see if you also require a license from them for the use of the musical works and lyrics. See or call APRA and AMCOS on 1300 852 388 to find out more.

Contact Us

If you have any questions or suggestions about our Privacy Policy, do not hesitate to contact us.